An introduction to 'tech for good' and digital development for charities
We're helping organisations build confidence, motivation and focus to begin their digital journey
What is a Design Hop?
Design Hops are the first step for charities exploring the role of digital in their services. By demystifying technology and design approaches, this free half-day creative workshop builds confidence and motivation to take the next step, as well as focus on what that immediate next step should be for each organisation.
Who are they for?
People working in established nonprofits who are interested in exploring the role of digital. Ideally, we’re looking for decision-makers, who will be able to put the methods learnt directly into practice and are in a position to further develop their ideas, e.g. through grant-funding applications. You should also have a good understanding of your charity’s existing services and the challenges in providing them.
Unfortunately these workshops are not suitable for organisations with an income below £10,000.
How does it work?
An energetic and practical half-day workshop where you will unpack a key organisational challenge, map existing responses as well as your organisation’s assets, then identify and test points where digital might help.
You will leave having drafted the outline of a brief that can be used to approach tech partners or as the basis of a pitch to relevant funding opportunities. You’ll also be connected to local networks, experts and tools that can support the next step of your digital journey, as well as live funding opportunities, where relevant.
Attendees will gain:
- Understand what ‘digital’ means, how it can help and how it might be approached in your organisation
- Set achievable goals and simple actions for digital progress
- Meet and network with peers in your area who are tackling some of the same challenges.
- See examples of how digital approaches have helped other charities become more resilient and responsive to the needs of their service users
- Learn simple exercises and tools you can use and share with colleagues immediately
- Identify elements of your current service and networks that you can draw on to help manage change.
- Identify and prioritise a key problem that can be addressed with digital
- Before the end of the workshop we will have helped you hone in on a specific next step to take that will enable you to test some key assumptions around that problem
- Maintain momentum through a range of follow-up opportunities with CAST and our network.
When and where are the Design Hops?
Our latest confirmed sessions are:
Manchester – Thursday 6th December 2018
1-5pm at The Federation
Federation St. M4 4BF
Brighton – Wednesday 30th January 2019
1-5pm at 68 Middle St.
We will be running several more Design Hops over the next few months across the country. Details of others will be published here soon, and if you apply through the link below we’ll let you know when we have one in your region.
How do you sign up?
Fill out the short form at the link below to apply for one of the live design hops, or to be considered for a future event. We will respond within a week of registration confirming your place, or signpost you to alternative opportunities if we think they’d be a better fit for your needs. Registration will typically close two-three weeks before the event, or once the event is full.
What previous attendees have said
THE WELL: "We worked with the extraordinary people from CAST on our rapid response service Warrior Down. Even though we only spent a little more over a half day, we achieved so much!"